The 2023 KTM RC 390 is a high-performance Supersports machine with its roots firmly planted on the race track. Featuring an impressive technology package, as well as race-derived styling, handling characteristics, and addictive power delivery, the KTM RC 390 is a real-world racer with undoubted pedigree.
Bodywork & Graphics
- GRAND PRIX INSPIRED: Taking its lead from the pinnacle of 2-wheeled racing, the KTM RC 390 echoes the design of the KTM RC16 racer in both styling, ergonomics and Factory Racing-inspired color options.
- BODYWORK: Completely redesigned, race-inspired bodywork provides class-leading wind protection and a higher top speed thanks to optimized aerodynamics created by using CFD (Computational Flow Dynamics) simulations.
- FUEL TANK: A new, larger 3.6 gallon (13.7 liter) fuel tank is inspired by the KTM Moto3 race bike, and provides the best-in-class fuel capacity. This, combined with the KTM RC 390’s low fuel consumption, means you can go further, faster, for longer.
- MIRRORS: New foldable mirrors are wider to have a broader visual range, but are also sharper to provide improved aerodynamics. They're also more practical, folding in for a narrower profile when maneuvering the RC 390 through tight spacing or parking.
- FRAME: A new, ultra-lightweight frame design saves 3.3 lbs (1.5 kg) over the previous generation, making use of a trellis frame and bolt-on subframe, which also gives the KTM RC 390 improved high-speed stability and increased rider feel. The result? Faster lap times.
- SUSPENSION: The KTM RC 390 makes use of a completely new suspension setup, giving it real race-bike credibility with unmatched specifications in the sub-400 cc Superpsports segment.
- FRONT FORK: Boasting a 43 mm WP APEX open cartridge, adjustable upside down front fork with 30 clicks of compression and rebound damping adjustment, the KTM RC 390 not only shares proper sportsbike technology with bigger bikes, but it also handles like them too. New axle clamps and a hollow axle save weight up front too.
- REAR SHOCK ABSORBER: Tuning your KTM RC 390 to be the perfect track day tool is easy, thanks to a new rebound and preload adjustable split-piston WP APEX shock absorber taking care of things in the rear.
- BRAKE: Reigning in a charging KTM RC 390 comes courtesy of radially mounted 4-piston-fixed BYBRE caliper combined with a 320 mm brake disc upfront and a one-piston fixed caliper with 230 mm disc brake setup on the rear wheel. Not only do these provide the best possible deceleration, they save 960 grams of weight and can be fully exploited thanks to state-of-the-art ABS technology. An adjustable front brake lever completes the package.
- WHEELS: An all-new bionic wheel design features fewer spokes and open hubs, which not only greatly improves handling characteristics, but most importantly, saves a massive 7.5 lbs (3.4 kg) of rotating unsprung mass. This means quicker turn-in on the track and improved durability on the street, making the KTM RC 390 an all-out apex-clipping master.
Engine & Exhaust
- ENGINE: The KTM RC 390 uses the proven 373 cc liquid-cooled, single-cylinder four-stroke engine to maximum effect. Revised engine mapping, improved torque figures, and smoother, hard-hitting power delivery means this state-of-the-art powerplant churns out unmatched performance.
- PERFORMANCE: Thanks to a larger airbox, increased torque, and ultra-slick throttle response, the KTM RC 390 rockets off the line and into pole position. A new Ride-by-Wire system also means it steps onto the podium with more precise engine mapping, traction control, and the added benefit of optional Quickshifter+.
- CYLINDER HEAD: Four valves, double-overhead cams and, ultra-hard carbon-coated cam levers mean the cylinder head on the KTM RC 390 produces more power but retains its legendary reliability.
- EXHAUST: Taking its design cues from the MotoGP™ RC16, the exhaust of the KTM RC 390 boasts stainless steel headers with an aluminum muffler, which not only look the part but give the KTM RC 390 a distinct, throaty rumble as it charges through the gears and onto the redline.
- SLIPPER CLUTCH: Preventing the rear wheel from locking up under hard deceleration, the slipper clutch opens up when the engine back-torque becomes too high, but it also closes with the force of the clutch springs when you get onto the throttle. This stops unwanted rear wheel chatter and ensures maximum control - while also allowing the clutch lever to be actuated with hardly any pressure at all.
- COOLING: Improved airflow throughout the engine allows the KTM RC 390 to run cooler, giving it the optimal performance temperature needed to hit the apex, lap after lap.
- HANDLEBARS: Designed on the track to chase down lap times and give riders their perfect setup, these clip-on handlebars feature 10 mm of height adjustment, so when the race is over they can be raised for more relaxed, everyday applications.
- SEAT: The all-new KTM RC 390 seat features an improved profile for seamless, unrestricted rider movement, but also has thicker, ergonomically-shaped foam for better comfort. A grippy, hard-wearing outer material has been added to improve grip in all weather conditions.
- RIDER CONTACT: The KTM RC 390 boasts a rider-centric layout, designed to give riders maximum contact with the bike, without restricting their movement. The knee area is ergonomically developed to be as narrow as possible with the largest possible contact area for optimum control when on the edge.
- FOOTPEGS: New lightweight footpegs feature the optimal geometry to keep you firmly planted when cranked over, deep into the corners.
- FOOTLEVERS: Folding foot levers prevent unwanted breakage in the event of a fall and also ensure the bike stays on-line and undisturbed should you scrape the pegs at big lean angles.
Software & Electronics
- TFT DISPLAY & SWITCHGEAR: An all-new TFT dashboard lets you see all the important information you need at a glance, or allows you to customize what you want to see via intuitive switchgear. The ambient light adaptive sensor also means the display adjusts to changing light conditions automatically, so that you maintain perfect visibility, day or night.
- MTC: Complete confidence at any angle, Motorcycle Traction Control reacts in a matter of milliseconds if the rotational speed of the rear wheel is disproportionate to the riding situation. MTC reduces the engine output with an extremely smooth, barely perceptible intervention at the throttle valves, reducing slippage to optimum proportions. This means riders can enjoy the full power of the KTM RC 390 under all circumstances, on track and on the road.
- CORNERING ABS: The KTM RC 390 is equipped with Cornering ABS to ensure maximum braking performance under all conditions. This allows riders to use the full power of the BYBRE brakes when navigating a corner by taking the lean angle of the motorcycle into account, reducing the chance of locking up a wheel mid-corner.
- SUPERMOTO ABS MODE: The KTM RC 390 can let it all hang out, thanks to SUPERMOTO ABS. This mode allows the rider more freedom when it comes to hard braking, without compromising on safety. This is done by deactivating ABS functionality on the rear wheel which allows the rider to slide the rear into a corner. At the same time, rear wheel lift up detection is also disabled allowing the rear wheel to lift up, but keeping brake pressure on the front until an excessive front wheel slip is detected, at which point ABS will intervene. This also means the rider can apply more brake pressure when cornering or trail braking.
- QUICKSHIFTER+: Shift like a pro with the KTM RC 390 and KTM's optional QUICKSHIFTER +, allowing you to gear up or down without using the clutch lever. This means quicker shift times, improved rear wheel traction, smoother acceleration and the distinct racetrack sound. This works by cutting the ignition at the moment the shift lever moves up or down, unloading the gearbox, and making it possible for you to switch one gear up without closing the throttle.
Front - Four-piston radial fixed calliper, disc, 320 mm diameter
Rear - Single-piston floating calliper, disc, 230 mm diameter
ABS - Bosch 9.1MP Two Channel ABS (Supermoto ABS)
341.7 lb. (155 kg)
6.2 in. (158 mm)
32.4 in. (824 mm)
42.9 hp (32 kW)
PASC™ antihopping, mechanically operated
Bosch EMS with RBW
Approx. - 13.7 l
Steel trellis, powder coated
WP APEX 43
Travel - 120 mm
WP APEX - Monoshock
Travel - 150 mm